Popular actress turned politician Jayaram Jayalalithaa died on Monday after suffering a heart attack in a Chennai hospital—and that could spark unrest across her state.
Jayalalithaa was hospitalized on Sept. 22 at the Apollo Hospital for an acute lung infection. By Monday morning, the hospital reported that the once star actress had been placed on a life support system. She was 68 at the time of her death, according to the BBC.
Police are now on alert across the Southern Indian state of Tamil Nadu, where Jayalalithaa was chief minister prior to her death, over concerns that her death could spark unrest. Previous incorrect reports of her death had caused scuffles outside of her hospital.
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow