The highly-anticipated Hamilton Mixtape, which features Lin-Manuel Miranda’s Tony Award-winning score performed by a selection of rap, pop, R&B and hip-hop artists including Usher, Kelly Clarkson and The Roots, was released Friday.
To celebrate the album’s launch, hundreds of Hamilfans gathered Thursday lunchtime at the Richard Rodgers Theatre on Broadway, where Hamilton is performed, to hear a live performance of four of the tunes by the artists that recorded them.
Although Miranda was not able to attend the event due to movie shooting commitments in London, Questlove and The Roots, Regina Spektor and Ashanti and Ja Rule were among the big acts that showed up to perform live.
Speaking in a pre-recorded video that was broadcast in the theater, Miranda told audience members that he wished he could be with them in person. “We’ve worked for over a year on this, and I can’t wait to bring it to you,” he said, introducing the Mixtape. Watch a live stream of the concert here:
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time