The Views from the top of nearly all of Spotify’s streaming lists must be pretty nice for Drake.
On Thursday, the streaming service released Wrapped, its annual set of top lists, revealing which songs and artists made the biggest splash in the music world in 2016.
Drake dominated in his categories, topping the list for most streamed track (“One Dance”), most streamed album (Views), and world’s most streamed artist, which he claimed for the second year in a row, beating out Justin Bieber, Rihanna, Twenty One Pilots, and Kanye West with 4.7 billion streams. “One Dance” also made history by becoming the most popular song ever on Spotify with 950 million streams, dethroning “Lean On” by Major Lazer (ft. MØ and DJ Snake).
“Drake has been unstoppable this year – he’s a true global superstar,” Stefan Bloom, Spotify’s Chief Content and Chief Strategy Officer, said in a statement.
Drake’s frequent collaborator Rihanna also had a big year, topping the list of most-streamed female artists for the second year in a row with 2.5 billion, and landing an album (ANTI) and two songs (“Needed Me,” “Work” [feat. Drake]) in the top five for each category.
Other artists and songs that round out the lists include Ariana Grande, Beyonce, Sia, “Don’t Let Me Down” by the Chainsmokers, “Panda” by Desiigner, and “I Took a Pill in Ibiza – Seeb Remix” by Mike Posner.
Zayn also proved that stepping away from One Direction was a good career move for the Brit; he topped the list of Breakout Artists, beating lesser-known artists FRENSHIP, Anne-Marie, Madeintyo, and Rob $tone.
In addition to the standard top lists, Spotify had some fun with its data round-up and compiled the following list of quirky winners:
- Top sex song: “Sex” – Cheat Codes, Kris Kross Amsterdam
- Top sad song: “Say Something” – A Great Big World
- Top breakup song: “One Dance” – Drake feat. WizKid and Kyla
- Top party/dance song: “Uptown Funk” – Mark Ronson, Bruno Mars
- Top workout song: “ ‘Till I Collapse (feat. Nate Dogg)” – Eminem
- Top gaming song: “Remember The Name (feat. Styles of Beyond)” – Fort Minor
- Most Musical Day: Nov. 11
And though they may sound slightly Mad-Libbed, keep an ear out for the emerging genres Spotify thinks will be big in 2017, like Ambient Fusion, Witch House, Speed Garage and Hoerspiel.
Head here to see Wrapped’s complete breakdown and the full set of lists.
- Global Climate Solutions Exist. It's Time to Deploy Them
- What Happens to Diane Feinstein's Senate Seat
- Who The Golden Bachelor Leaves Out
- Rooftop Solar Power Has a Dark Side
- How Sara Reardon Became the 'Vagina Whisperer'
- Is It Flu, COVID-19, or RSV? Navigating At-Home Tests
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time