President-elect Donald Trump showered Pakistani Prime Minister Muhammad Nawaz Sharif with praise during a phone call on Wednesday, providing a glimpse into his diplomatic strategy.
“You are a terrific guy. You are doing amazing work which is visible in every way,” Trump said on the call, according to a readout provided by the Pakistani government. “I am ready and willing to play any role that you want me to play to address and find solutions to the outstanding problems.”
The penchant for hyperbole that Trump often exhibited in off-the-cuff campaign speeches came through in the phone call, during which Sharif congratulated him on his election victory and invited him to visit Pakistan.
“Please convey to the Pakistani people that they are amazing and all Pakistanis I have known are exceptional people,” Trump said.
The full readout of the call, according to the Pakistani government, is below. Trump’s transition team has not released a readout.
- In Photos: How Wildfire Smoke Impacted Cities
- How Antitrust Laws Could Kill the PGA-LIV Golf Merger
- Teens Are Taking Wegovy for Weight Loss
- Prince Harry Breaks Royal Convention to Testify in Court
- Elliot Page: Embracing My Trans Identity Saved Me
- How a Texas High Jumper Has Earned Nearly $1 Million
- The Best TV Shows of 2023 So Far
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk