The Pope will travel to Ireland for the World Meeting of Families scheduled for August of 2018. Kenny’s Vatican trip is seen as a bridge-building exercise after he attacked the Catholic leadership in 2011 over the child sexual abuse scandals.
Kenny was accompanied by Emma Madigan—the Irish ambassador to the Holy See—and his wife Fionnuala.
“I was happy to conform to him that Church/ State relations are in a better shape than they were for very many year,” Kenny told the Irish Independent. “That we work very well with the Bishops and the clergy, that there are so many more safeguards in place than there were before and that… I regard these relations as being at a healthier position than they were for many years.”
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at email@example.com