Jamal Hinton, 17, and Wanda Dench, a Phoenix-area grandma, had never met before Thanksgiving but the pair embraced the spirit of the holiday this week with Dench welcoming Hinton to her family.
Hinton’s invitation to the dinner at first came entirely by accident when Dench texted the 17-year-old meaning to text her own grandson. The two exchanged a few messages before a selfie revealed that Hinton had the wrong number. Nonetheless, the grandma did not revoke the invitation when Hinton asked if he could still come. “Of course you can,” she said. “That’s what grandmas do…feed everyone!”
The story quickly exploded on the internet after Hinton posted a screenshot of their exchange on Twitter. “We feel like it was fate that this occurred during such a rough time and right before Thanksgiving,” Wanda’s daughter, Lisa Dench, told the Arizona Republic.
Hinton showed up with a pumpkin pie.
- AI Is Not an Arms Race
- The 30 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2023
- Here's What's in the Debt Ceiling Deal
- India’s Female Wrestlers Are Saying #MeToo
- The End of Succession
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- Why Everyone Is Having Bad Sex (Especially Young People)
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction