After weeks of teasing it, The Weeknd dropped his third studio album, Starboy, late on Thanksgiving night.
It’s been fifteen months since the 26-year-old R&B artist formerly known as Abel Tesfaye released his sophomore project, Beauty Behind the Madness. It was a brassy, occasionally cocky collection, and it worked, but Starboy‘s strengths lie in its subtlety. Its sound is heavily ambient — perfect for wintertime — and while Tesfaye’s vocals are as gorgeous as ever, the strongest tracks are those that feature tasty collaborations: Lana Del Rey, Kendrick Lamar, Daft Punk, and Future are all there.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2022
- I Tested Positive for COVID-19 Right Before the Holidays. What Should I Do?
- Column: How To Create a Sense of Belonging In a Divided America
- How to Survive the Holidays if You're a Scrooge
- Life Expectancy Provides Evidence of How Far Black Americans Have Come
- The 10 Best Albums of 2022
- Iran Has a Long History of Protest and Activism
- 6 Ways to Give Better Gifts—Based on Science