“Who are you wearing?” and “How long did it take you to get ready?” are two of the inane questions that female celebrities are often asked on the red carpet. But at Sunday’s American Music Awards, former Vampire Diaries star Nina Dobrev was asked a series of questions that were downright insulting.
“What are you eating these days?” E! News reporter Jason Kennedy asked Dobrev. They had been discussing her recent Men’s Health photoshoot, where she appeared in a swimsuit. “Are you working out twice a day? Because people wanna know, how do you pull that look off? How do you get that body?”
Dobrev shrugged off his comment and instead talked about her weight-training regimen. However, it’s doubtful any male interviewees were asked what he was eating to pull off his own physique.
Campaigns like #AskHerMore have been trying to raise awareness of sexist moments like this one on the red carpet. And celebrities themselves have been speaking out, too. Cate Blanchett famously called out E!’s “glam cam” at the 2014 Screen Actor’s Guild awards. Amy Schumer gave her tampon a shout-out at the 2016 Emmys.
- Global Climate Solutions Exist. It's Time to Deploy Them
- What Happens to Diane Feinstein's Senate Seat
- Who The Golden Bachelor Leaves Out
- Rooftop Solar Power Has a Dark Side
- How Sara Reardon Became the 'Vagina Whisperer'
- Is It Flu, COVID-19, or RSV? Navigating At-Home Tests
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time