Jovan Wilson, the 15-year-old grandson of U.S. Rep. Danny Davis, was shot and killed in his Chicago home Friday night in an incident police described as “egregious and senseless.”
A 15-year-old boy and 17-year-old girl entered Jovan’s home and began arguing with him, before the boy pulled out a gun and shot Jovan in the head, the Chicago Tribune reported, citing police and Davis.
“It was unbelievable, unbelievable,” Davis said, according to Tribune
Jovan’s uncle and three siblings were also home at the time.
“There was a history between the young people involved and it was a dispute over gym shoes. This was not random but was egregious and senseless to use a gun over a fight for clothes,” said Anthony Guglielmi, spokesman for the Chicago Police Department, according to the Tribune.
As of Saturday, the suspects were still at large.
“I do know that I grieve for my family,” Davis said at a news conference Friday. “I grieve for the young man who pulled the trigger. I grieve for his family, his parents, his friends, some of whom will never see him again.”
- Zero-COVID Protests in China Have Rattled Global Markets
- Column: Diversity Initiatives Are Failing the U.S. Muslim Community
- Why European Countries Are Giving Teens Free Money To Spend on Books, Music, and Theater
- Republican Skepticism of Trump Has Never Been Higher
- Column: The U.S. Prison System Doesn't Value True Justice
- How Green Is the Qatar World Cup’s Outdoor AC?
- 16 Funny and Whimsical White Elephant Gifts Under $25
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in November 2022