Jovan Wilson, the 15-year-old grandson of U.S. Rep. Danny Davis, was shot and killed in his Chicago home Friday night in an incident police described as “egregious and senseless.”
A 15-year-old boy and 17-year-old girl entered Jovan’s home and began arguing with him, before the boy pulled out a gun and shot Jovan in the head, the Chicago Tribune reported, citing police and Davis.
“It was unbelievable, unbelievable,” Davis said, according to Tribune
Jovan’s uncle and three siblings were also home at the time.
“There was a history between the young people involved and it was a dispute over gym shoes. This was not random but was egregious and senseless to use a gun over a fight for clothes,” said Anthony Guglielmi, spokesman for the Chicago Police Department, according to the Tribune.
As of Saturday, the suspects were still at large.
“I do know that I grieve for my family,” Davis said at a news conference Friday. “I grieve for the young man who pulled the trigger. I grieve for his family, his parents, his friends, some of whom will never see him again.”
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time