Hawking, the noted theoretical physicist, said that humans will likely expend the planet’s resources in that time, according to the remarks, first reported by Daily Express.
“We must…continue to go into space for the future of humanity,” Hawking said, according to the remarks. “I don’t think we will survive another 1,000 years without escaping beyond our fragile planet.”
Hawking has made similarly dire remarks in the past, including earlier this year when he called when he said disaster on Earth was a “near certainty.”
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow