Trump has pledged to appoint antiabortion Justices to the Supreme Court and suggested that those jurists would vote to overturn Roe v. Wade, thus allowing states to again criminalize abortion.
He also supports a federal legislative ban on late-term abortions and has pledged to make the Hyde Amendment–an annually renewed statute that bans almost all taxpayer funding for abortions–into permanent law.
Repealing or amending the Affordable Care Act, which forces health insurers to cover contraceptives, could make it harder for some women to get birth control. The GOP Congress has long sought to end federal funding for Planned Parenthood, a major provider of family planning for the poor.
Trump defended Planned Parenthood in the primaries but announced in September that he supports federal defunding of the group if it continues to provide abortion services. “This is the gravest situation I’ve ever seen,” says Donna Crane of NARAL Pro-Choice America.
This appears in the November 28, 2016 issue of TIME.
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time