Trump has pledged to appoint antiabortion Justices to the Supreme Court and suggested that those jurists would vote to overturn Roe v. Wade, thus allowing states to again criminalize abortion.
He also supports a federal legislative ban on late-term abortions and has pledged to make the Hyde Amendment–an annually renewed statute that bans almost all taxpayer funding for abortions–into permanent law.
Repealing or amending the Affordable Care Act, which forces health insurers to cover contraceptives, could make it harder for some women to get birth control. The GOP Congress has long sought to end federal funding for Planned Parenthood, a major provider of family planning for the poor.
Trump defended Planned Parenthood in the primaries but announced in September that he supports federal defunding of the group if it continues to provide abortion services. “This is the gravest situation I’ve ever seen,” says Donna Crane of NARAL Pro-Choice America.
This appears in the November 28, 2016 issue of TIME.
- Here's Where All The Strongest Hurricanes Have Hit the U.S. in the Past 50 Years
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- Here Are the 12 New Books You Should Read in October
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out