When you saw Cersei Lannister on Game of Thrones walk bloodied through the streets of King’s Landing while the crowd shouted, “Shame! Shame!” fans likely didn’t think about soda, but the creative minds over at Sodastream did.
The sparkling water maker’s latest ad was inspired by Cersei’s ceremonial shaming, but instead of humiliating a monarch, Sodastream points the finger at plastic-wasting seltzer drinkers. In the ad, a man craving soda water buys a case of the bubbly stuff instead of using a reusable Sodastream. That’s when the scene goes dark, as he heads to the grocery store check-out, a stand-in for Septa Unella appears, ringing a bell and repeatedly crying out “Shame!” An angry crowd determined to humiliate him mortifies the man who only wanted a little soda for his choice. He even faces threatening gestures from a little girl.
It only ends when a man who looks like the Mountain from the series sets him on the path to a Sodastream. It’s a dark commercial for a bubbly product, but it does makes its point.
- What Wildfire Smoke Does to the Human Body
- Teens Are Taking Wegovy for Weight Loss
- Why Pence Launched His Presidential Bid in Iowa
- Prince Harry Breaks Royal Convention to Testify in Court
- Elliot Page: Embracing My Trans Identity Saved Me
- How a Texas High Jumper Has Earned Nearly $1 Million
- The Best TV Shows of 2023 So Far
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk