Officers from the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department responded to the shooting Sunday morning, and said that the daughter is in stable condition and the mother is undergoing surgery, police said in a statement. The father told officers the gun had been on the nightstand next to his bed and that his son was also in the room at the time, a police spokesperson told IndyStar.
“When officers arrived, they came into contact with the father of the 4-year-old who stated that he and his fiancé were asleep when he was awakened by the sound of the gunshot,” police said. “He stated that his daughter shot herself in the face, and it is believed that same bullet struck his fiancé in the back of the head.”
Last year, at least 265 children shot themselves or others unintentionally.
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating