Officers from the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department responded to the shooting Sunday morning, and said that the daughter is in stable condition and the mother is undergoing surgery, police said in a statement. The father told officers the gun had been on the nightstand next to his bed and that his son was also in the room at the time, a police spokesperson told IndyStar.
“When officers arrived, they came into contact with the father of the 4-year-old who stated that he and his fiancé were asleep when he was awakened by the sound of the gunshot,” police said. “He stated that his daughter shot herself in the face, and it is believed that same bullet struck his fiancé in the back of the head.”
Last year, at least 265 children shot themselves or others unintentionally.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Julia Zorthian at firstname.lastname@example.org