Hundreds of dog lovers joined a British man taking his beloved pup, Walnut, for a final walk on Saturday, hours before the ageing whippet was put to sleep.
On Nov. 8, Mark Woods encouraged others on Facebook to join him on Walnut’s last outing on a beach in Cornwall, in southwestern U.K., after learning that the 18-year-whippet had to be put down due to ill-health.
“Sadly I am having to have Walnut euthanised on Saturday 12th November and so we will be having a last walk together on his beloved Porth Beach at 9.30am” he wrote on Facebook. “I would love it if dog lovers/owners and friends would join us for a celebration of Walnut…He has had an incredible life and having reached the grand age of 18 is ready for his final sleep. Hope to see you on Saturday.”
To Woods’ surprise, the post was shared thousands of times and, come Nov. 12, hundreds had gathered to join him for the heartbreaking occasion. Walnut ended up being carried on the day as he was too weak to walk along the beach. Twitter users documented the emotional event on social media:
Woods confirmed on Facebook later on Saturday afternoon that Walnut had died. The owner also thanked the people who joined him on the walk. “I am writing this post because I owe it to everyone who has supported myself, my family and most importantly Walnut” he wrote on Facebook. “Thank you to the hundreds of people that attended the walk this morning and to all those that had their own walks with their beloved pets at 9.30am all around the world. “and to all those that had their own walks with their beloved pets at 9.30am all around the world.”
- Column: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Clandestine Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- The Biggest Snubs and Surprises of the 2023 Oscar Nominations
- Talking Less Will Get You More
- Kamala Harris Subtly Emerges as Powerful White House Asset
- How Avatar: The Way of Water Became the 6th Movie in History to Make $2 Billion
- Is There Really No Safe Amount of Drinking?
- How Our Cells Strategize To Keep Us Alive