John Oliver thought he wanted the election to be over, but in the wake of the election of Donald Trump (or “Drumpf” as Oliver calls him) he now regrets his haste. “It’s true,” he said. “That happened.”
On Last Week Tonight, Oliver said that instead of showing daughters that they could be president by following the example of Hillary Clinton, the election results proved that “no grandpa is too racist to become leader of the free world.”
Oliver noted that now Trump will be responsible for filling at least one seat on the U.S. Supreme Court and his choice will impact the court—and the country—for decades. “That is one of those phrases you never thought you would hear, like Vanilla Ice is picking up his Nobel Prize in physics,” said Oliver.
While many pundits, politicians, and members of the electorate are encouraging people to give Trump a chance, Oliver is skeptical. “It’s like we’re on a plane and just discovered our pilot is a wombat,” he said.
According to Oliver, Trump’s campaign promises to deport immigrants, repeal and replace Obamacare, build a wall between the U.S. and Mexico are too “alarming” to give him a chance. “It’s the to-do list on Satan’s refrigerator, which Satan no longer needs because hell has frozen over,” noted Oliver.
The Last Week Tonight host understands the desire to flee to Canada, but unless “you were born there originally, it’s springtime, and you’re a goose.” Instead, he recommends staying and fighting in the U.S.—and donating time and money to charities.
Watch more in the clip above.
- The Fall of Roe and the Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- What Trump Knew About January 6
- Follow the Algae Brick Road to Plant-Based Buildings
- The Education of Glenn Youngkin
- The Benefits and Challenges of Cutting Back on Meat
- Here's Everything New on Netflix in July 2022—and What's Leaving
- Women in Northern Ireland Still Struggle to Access Abortion More Than 2 Years After Decriminalization