People all across the country have heard Donald Trump promise to build a wall along the southern border with Mexico, and it seems young students have internalized the idea.
Thursday afternoon, students at Royal Oak Middle School in Michigan began chanting “build that wall!” during their lunch period. A Facebook video of the incident has been viewed more than 8 million times as of this writing.
In a statement Thursday, Shawn Lewis-Lakin, superintendent of Royal Oak Schools, acknowledged the “strong emotions and intensity of rhetoric” that resulted from posting the video on social media.
“We are committed to providing a safe, secure, and supportive learning environment for all students,” Lewis-Lakin said. “We addressed this incident when it occurred. We are addressing it today. We are working with our students to help them understand the impact of their words and actions on others in their school community.”
- How the Anti-Vax Movement Is Taking Over the Right
- What Happens Next in Ukraine Could Change Europe Forever
- There's So Much More To Say About Bill Cosby
- Death Doulas Used to Be Rare. The COVID-19 Pandemic Changed That
- What It Feels Like to Be a Muslim Woman Auctioned Online by India's Right Wing
- America's First Openly Trans City Council President Wants to Heal Minneapolis
- The World's Farmers Need to Prepare for Serious Cash Crop Disruption