British department store John Lewis is famed for its Christmas adverts, and 2016’s version carries on the retailer’s tradition of heart-warming tales.
The two-minute-long commercial introduces us to “a little girl called Bridget, who loves to bounce”, and her dog, Buster the Boxer. As Bridget’s dad carefully builds a trampoline in the family’s garden on a snowy evening, Buster looks longingly out of the window, wishing he too could bounce on the Christmas present intended for Bridget. Eventually, he grabs his chance.
Although the TV advert sets the festive mood, some commentators have noted that it’s more humorous than previous tear-jerking campaigns from the store, with one writer even likening the storyline to the U.S. presidential election.
- The Man Who Thinks He Can Live Forever
- Why We Can't Get Over the Roman Empire
- The Final Season of Netflix’s Sex Education Sends Off a Beloved Cast in Style
- How Russia Is Recruiting Cubans to Fight in Ukraine
- The Case for Mediocrity
- Paul Hollywood Answers All of Your Questions About The Great British Baking Show
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time