British department store John Lewis is famed for its Christmas adverts, and 2016’s version carries on the retailer’s tradition of heart-warming tales.
The two-minute-long commercial introduces us to “a little girl called Bridget, who loves to bounce”, and her dog, Buster the Boxer. As Bridget’s dad carefully builds a trampoline in the family’s garden on a snowy evening, Buster looks longingly out of the window, wishing he too could bounce on the Christmas present intended for Bridget. Eventually, he grabs his chance.
Although the TV advert sets the festive mood, some commentators have noted that it’s more humorous than previous tear-jerking campaigns from the store, with one writer even likening the storyline to the U.S. presidential election.
- LGBTQ Reality TV Takes on a Painful Moment
- Column: How the World Must Respond to AI
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- India’s Female Wrestlers Are Saying #MeToo
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction
- The End of Succession
- Scientists Get Closer to Harnessing Solar Power From Space