New Yorkers, watch out for sightings of Emma Watson and free books today on your daily subway commute: the Harry Potter actress, women’s rights advocate, and bona fide book fairy is distributing copies of Mom & Me & Mom, a Maya Angelou autobiography, around the city’s transit system as part of her “Our Shared Shelf” global feminist book club. Last week, Watson was seen popping around London’s underground doing the same thing, dropping copies of the paperback for passersby with sharp eyes to snag at will. For her efforts on our side of the pond, the upcoming Beauty and the Beast star partnered with Books on the Subway, a free-form grassroots book exchange. And her activity hasn’t gone unnoticed; even Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling sent her a message of support.
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- U.S. Doctors Can't Be Silent About Gaza: Column
- The Movie Wives Would Like a Word
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time