Racist graffiti referencing Donald Trump and Nazi Germany appeared on a storefront window in Philadelphia following the contentious presidential election on Wednesday.
The vandalism, which included a spray-painted swastika, the Nazi salute ‘seig heil,’ and the word “Trump” with the T replaced by an additional swastika, came on the 78th anniversary of Kristallnacht, the “Night of Broken Glass” attacks on Jews in Germany in 1938.
Other reports of graffiti in South Philadelphia emerged on Wednesday, including spray pain on a car that said, “Trump Black Bitch,” the Philadelphia Inquirer reported.
Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney said in a statement that the acts “must be condemned in the strongest possible terms.”
“As I said in my statement to residents today, in the wake of the election, Philadelphians must work tirelessly to bridge the divides that have plagued this nation for decades,” he said. “I know that many residents are planning to take part in vigils and rallies tonight and in the days ahead, and I urge you to gather respectfully and peacefully.”
- How the Anti-Vax Movement Is Taking Over the Right
- What Happens Next in Ukraine Could Change Europe Forever
- There's So Much More To Say About Bill Cosby
- Death Doulas Used to Be Rare. The COVID-19 Pandemic Changed That
- What It Feels Like to Be a Muslim Woman Auctioned Online by India's Right Wing
- America's First Openly Trans City Council President Wants to Heal Minneapolis
- The World's Farmers Need to Prepare for Serious Cash Crop Disruption