As the results continued to tick upward in favor of Republican nominee Donald Trump during Tuesday’s election night broadcast of the The Daily Show, Trevor Noah reacted with sincerity and humor in equal parts.
“This is it, the end of the presidential race, and it feels like the end of the world,” Noah said. “I don’t know if you’ve come to the right place for jokes tonight because this is the first time throughout this entire race where I’m officially sh-tting my pants.”
As surprising as the results might have been to some, Noah did have therapeutic jokes up his sleeve. “We are going to be making jokes tonight but I am very much afraid,” he said. “Donald Trump is doing much better than expected. He’s doing so much winning that I am tired of winning.”
Noah paused to acknowledge why Clinton’s run was a historic moment for women and proceeded to self-medicate with Pepto-Bismol. He later pivoted to Desi Lydic, senior Hillary correspondent, who was struggling to keep the faith for the Democratic nominee.
Over at Trump’s election party, Trump correspondent Jordan Klepper was less hopeful.
But he scored laughs by poking fun at the campaign.
Later, Keegan-Michael Key joined to talk about why Obama’s presidency meant so much to he and his former Key & Peele co-star Jordan Peele before launching into the sketch show’s popular “Angry Obama” bit.
Noah closed by offering advice and a healthy dose of perspective to Clinton supporters.
Watch the full special from the The Daily Show below.
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- All of the Other Major Investigations Into Donald Trump
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's Surprising Second Act
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement