Election day in America brings out a perfect storm of strange settings, and situations. Dressed in politically charged outfits, people descend on the polls crammed in odd settings from pools to pool halls. Voters dress up their kids, their pets, and even their houses. They idolize their chosen candidates on cupcakes and tombstones, and brutalize effigies of their opponents with tigers.
It is a day when history is guaranteed to be made, not only in this country but all around the world – mock polling booths were set up from Kenya to Egypt, and people everywhere came out to watch the results.
TIME’s Photo Editors select the strangest election day photos.
- The 100 Best Mystery and Thriller Books of All Time
- Inside One Indian iPhone Factory
- What Beyoncé Gave Us
- Congress Avoided a Shutdown. What Happens Next?
- What Happens to Diane Feinstein's Senate Seat
- The Enduring Charm of John Grisham
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time