John Oliver has a deep, dark secret—he may be to blame for Donald Trump’s presidential candidacy, he says.
During the months leading up to the election, Oliver has made it clear that he is not a fan of the Republican presidential nominee. Oliver has devoted a great deal of screen time to Trump (or as Oliver calls him, Drumpf) targeting his brand of sarcasm and encouraging him to drop out of the race. This entire time, though, Oliver has been hiding a secret buried deep in his past.
On Sunday night’s episode of Last Week Tonight, Oliver finally came clean and admitted his role in Trump’s current run for the U.S. presidency. Turns out that back in 2013, Oliver filled in as a guest host on The Daily Show and rather explicitly called on Trump to run for president. “Do it,” Oliver told Trump back in 2013, adding: “I will personally write you a campaign check now.”
That’s right, Oliver encouraged the man he now calls “the human equivalent of a clear plastic bag filled with cheeseburgers and Confederate flag belt buckles” to run for president. As Oliver said, “In my defense, I have no defense for that.”
Watch the full clip below.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2022
- I Tested Positive for COVID-19 Right Before the Holidays. What Should I Do?
- Column: How To Create a Sense of Belonging In a Divided America
- How to Survive the Holidays if You're a Scrooge
- Life Expectancy Provides Evidence of How Far Black Americans Have Come
- The 10 Best Albums of 2022
- Iran Has a Long History of Protest and Activism
- 6 Ways to Give Better Gifts—Based on Science