“There’s a new pope now, and this is only the beginning.”
The new trailer for HBO’s The Young Pope sees Jude Law as the fictional Pope Pius XIII, the youngest pope in history and the first American to claim the crown. “What truly made our church great, fear or tolerance?” he ominously asks in the preview before laying down his new, harsher commandments.
Italian filmmaker Paolo Sorrentino (The Great Beauty) directs the 10-episode series, which also features Diane Keaton as Sister Mary, an American nun now living in the Vatican who seems to have ties to Pius’ past — although he doesn’t seem all that grateful to her now that he’s the head of the Catholic Church.
The Young Pope’s reign will begin on HBO this Jan. 15. Watch the teaser above.
- Zero-COVID Protests in China Have Rattled Global Markets
- Column: Diversity Initiatives Are Failing the U.S. Muslim Community
- Why European Countries Are Giving Teens Free Money To Spend on Books, Music, and Theater
- Republican Skepticism of Trump Has Never Been Higher
- Column: The U.S. Prison System Doesn't Value True Justice
- How Green Is the Qatar World Cup’s Outdoor AC?
- 16 Funny and Whimsical White Elephant Gifts Under $25
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in November 2022