“There’s a new pope now, and this is only the beginning.”
The new trailer for HBO’s The Young Pope sees Jude Law as the fictional Pope Pius XIII, the youngest pope in history and the first American to claim the crown. “What truly made our church great, fear or tolerance?” he ominously asks in the preview before laying down his new, harsher commandments.
Italian filmmaker Paolo Sorrentino (The Great Beauty) directs the 10-episode series, which also features Diane Keaton as Sister Mary, an American nun now living in the Vatican who seems to have ties to Pius’ past — although he doesn’t seem all that grateful to her now that he’s the head of the Catholic Church.
The Young Pope’s reign will begin on HBO this Jan. 15. Watch the teaser above.
- The Fall of Roe and the Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- The Ocean Is Climate Change’s First Victim and Last Resort
- Column: 6 Proven Ways to Reduce Gun Violence
- Ads Are Officially Coming to Netflix. Here's What That Means for You
- Jenny Slate on the Unifying Power of a Well-Heeled Shell Named Marcel
- Column: The FDA's Juul Ban May Not be a Pure Public Health Triumph
- What the Supreme Court’s Abortion Decision Means for Your State