“There’s a new pope now, and this is only the beginning.”
The new trailer for HBO’s The Young Pope sees Jude Law as the fictional Pope Pius XIII, the youngest pope in history and the first American to claim the crown. “What truly made our church great, fear or tolerance?” he ominously asks in the preview before laying down his new, harsher commandments.
Italian filmmaker Paolo Sorrentino (The Great Beauty) directs the 10-episode series, which also features Diane Keaton as Sister Mary, an American nun now living in the Vatican who seems to have ties to Pius’ past — although he doesn’t seem all that grateful to her now that he’s the head of the Catholic Church.
The Young Pope’s reign will begin on HBO this Jan. 15. Watch the teaser above.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org