America’s favorite dad Tom Hanks is making the publicity rounds for his latest spy thriller, Inferno, and in the process he’s shedding plenty of good-natured light on his life as a doting grandfather, adoring husband, and part-time wedding crasher. (Hot tip from Hanks: “the secret to photobombing is timing and locale.”)
In an interview published in the Jakarta Post, he also admitted the main thing that he will not tolerate in other people, and that’s lying.
Hanks also had some thoughts on the subject of his marriage to high school crush Rita Wilson, with whom he has been for 28 years. Again, honesty plays an important role in their relationship; “we make sure we are honest with each other,” he noted. “I’ve never understood the concept that you really have to work at it to make it work. We are not a leaky boat, I don’t know to put it any other way. We operate on all cylinders. I dig her and she puts up with me, so good enough.”
As for the high points in his life? “Well listen, I’m a grandfather, I have fabulous kids. They are all funny and are more or less self-supporting. I’m controlling my blood sugar and my knees haven’t gone bad. I win! Fabulous! I’m still here!”
Doesn’t look like he’s going anywhere. As long as we get more David S. Pumpkins every so often, no one will be complaining.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time