Technology giant Apple is slashing the prices on some adapters usable with its new MacBook Pro laptops. The move comes about a week after the Cupertino, Calif. firm revealed the new computers, which feature a new kind of USB port incompatible with many older devices.
The adapters, also called dongles, will let buyers of Apple’s newest laptop connect it to external monitors, digital camera memory cards, and other devices. Even Apple’s own iPhone 7 needs a dongle to connect via Lightning cable to the latest MacBook Pro models.
Apple’s new MacBook Pro features four USB-C ports, which promise faster file transfer speeds and other benefits. There is broad consensus in the technology world that USB-C is the future, but many devices still use older USB standards for connecting to other gadgets.
Apple’s decision not to include even a single older USB port on the new MacBook Pro ruffled many a feather among the Apple faithful. These price cuts, then, can be seen as a concession on Apple’s part.
Here’s the full list of price cuts, via Business Insider, which reports the deals will last through the end of the year:
- USB-C to USB adapter: from $19 to $9 (buy it now at the lower price here)
- Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter: from $49 to $29 (buy it now at the lower price here)
- USB-C to Lightning cable, 1 meter: from $25 to $19
- USB-C to Lightning cable, 2 meters: from $35 to $29
- USB-C digital AV multiport adapter: from $69 to $49 (buy it now at the lower price here)
- USB-C VGA multiport adapter: from $69 to $49 (buy it now at the lower price here)
- SanDisk Extreme Pro SD UHS-II Card USB-C reader: from $49 to $29 (third-party adapter)
- Other third-party USB-C peripherals: about 25% off (third-party adapter)
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating