Federal officials have warned New York City authorities about potential attacks by al Qaeda around election day.
The New York Police Department and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey were given information about a potential threat, and the police are on alert this weekend ahead of the election.
“We are aware of the information. We have been working with the FBI through the Joint Terrorism Task Force and our Counterterrorism and Intelligence Bureaus,” the New York Police Department said in a statement provided to TIME.
“We are continuing with the high level of patrols at all of our facilities that we have had in place for some time now,” spokesman Steve Coleman of the Port Authority said, without offering details about the threat.
- Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read
- Dubai's Real Estate Market is Booming. One Company is Making It Possible to Invest From Anywhere in the World
- How to Exercise When It's Really Hot Outside
- A New Documentary Sheds Light on a Pivotal Movement in Asian American History
- Far From Home: Afghan Women are Attempting to Build New Lives Abroad
- What Experts Say About How Valuable The Inflation Reduction Act's Green Subsidies Will Be
- What to Know About Long COVID in Kids
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer