Rachel Bloom may play a “crazy ex-girlfriend” on television, but in real life she knows the craziest thing you could do is not vote. Bloom teamed up with Funny or Die for a motivational video to get out the vote for the presidential election, and she brought some friends with her, including Elizabeth Banks and Moby.
“An orange talking STD has driven me to this recording studio,” Bloom sings in the “We Are The World”-inspired tune. To “try to convince the U.S.A. not to shoot itself in the face” celebrities from favorite shows like Big Bang Theory, Modern Family, Supernatural, Jane the Virgin, Grey’s Anatomy, Glee, and others turned out to do their part to get out the vote—and get a few digs in at Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump. (Lyrics are on the mature side, including lines like, “We have to stop that sentient septic tank and you’re our only hope” and “Donald Trump is human syphilis.”)
In the video, Bloom encourages people to vote for Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton, but she does acknowledge that there are other options: “So vote for Hillary. Because what are you gonna do, throw your vote away on a third party? I mean I guess you technically could, it’s your right, but still.”
At the end of the day, though, the message was to remind listeners: “Holy f—ing sh–, you’ve got to vote.”
- How to Help Victims of the Texas School Shooting
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- What the Buffalo Tragedy Has to Do With the Effort to Overturn Roe
- Column: The U.S. Failed Miserably on COVID-19. Canada Shows It Didn't Have to Be That Way
- N.Y. Will Soon Require Businesses to Post Salaries in Job Listings. Here's What Happened When Colorado Did It
- The 46 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2022
- ‘We Are in a Moment of Reckoning.’ Amanda Nguyen on Taking the Fight for Sexual Violence Survivors to the U.N.