A Catholic church in California posted fliers telling its visitors the choice in this election is clear: Don’t vote for Hillary Clinton, or else you’ll go to hell.
A memo posted at San Diego’s Immaculate Conception Catholic Church on Oct. 16 said, “It is a mortal sin to vote Democrat . . . immediately after death the souls of those who die in a state of mortal sin descend into hell,” the Washington Post reports. It outlined the five political topics where the Democratic position would condemn you to hell: abortion, same-sex marriage, euthanasia, human cloning and embryonic stem-cell research.
A memo on October 30 specifically mentioned Hillary Clinton and expanded the list of issues, including supporting gun control and “accepting immigrants whose “religious values are to eradicate every belief except those of their own prophet and god.”
Church officials have denounced the fliers and said they were not put out by the church in any official capacity. “While we have a moral role to play in explaining how Catholic teaching relates to certain public policy issues, we must not and will not endorse specific candidates,” said Bishop Robert McElroy in a statement.
“It’s not a mortal sin to vote for Democrats, number one,” said diocese spokesman Kevin Eckery. “And number two, the church doesn’t take positions on this, and we’re not going to.”
- The Fall of Roe and the Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- The Ocean Is Climate Change’s First Victim and Last Resort
- Column: 6 Proven Ways to Reduce Gun Violence
- Ads Are Officially Coming to Netflix. Here's What That Means for You
- Jenny Slate on the Unifying Power of a Well-Heeled Shell Named Marcel
- Column: The FDA's Juul Ban May Not be a Pure Public Health Triumph
- What the Supreme Court’s Abortion Decision Means for Your State