A 2-year-old boy and a man were shot and killed in New Jersey on Thursday, prosecutors said, although details surrounding their deaths remain murky.
It’s unclear what prompted the fatal shooting of the toddler and the man, who officials say was in his 20s. The relationship between the two victims and whether the shooting took place inside a home was also not immediately known.
Local media outlets said the incident took place in Orange, N.J. shortly after 3 p.m. Both victims were pronounced dead at the scene, NBC New York reports.
It’s unclear if authorities have identified any suspects.
Nearby residents told NJ Advance Media that the neighborhood has been recently plagued by violence. “He’s just a baby,” neighbor Jansy Marcelin said about the infant who was killed. “Orange is bad right now.”
- AI Is Not an Arms Race
- Here's What's in the Debt Ceiling Deal
- Matthew Macfadyen on Succession Series Finale
- How Worried Should the World Be of China's New COVID Wave?
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- Why Everyone Is Having Bad Sex (Especially Young People)
- The 30 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2023
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction