A 2-year-old boy and a man were shot and killed in New Jersey on Thursday, prosecutors said, although details surrounding their deaths remain murky.
It’s unclear what prompted the fatal shooting of the toddler and the man, who officials say was in his 20s. The relationship between the two victims and whether the shooting took place inside a home was also not immediately known.
Local media outlets said the incident took place in Orange, N.J. shortly after 3 p.m. Both victims were pronounced dead at the scene, NBC New York reports.
It’s unclear if authorities have identified any suspects.
Nearby residents told NJ Advance Media that the neighborhood has been recently plagued by violence. “He’s just a baby,” neighbor Jansy Marcelin said about the infant who was killed. “Orange is bad right now.”
- The Fall of Roe and the Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- What Trump Knew About January 6
- Follow the Algae Brick Road to Plant-Based Buildings
- The Education of Glenn Youngkin
- The Benefits and Challenges of Cutting Back on Meat
- Here's Everything New on Netflix in July 2022—and What's Leaving
- Women in Northern Ireland Still Struggle to Access Abortion More Than 2 Years After Decriminalization