We’re still two weeks out from the drop of Bruno Mars’ third album, 24K Magic, but no worries: the soulful funk singer has blessed us with the early release of a brand-new second single off the upcoming record.
“Versace on the Floor” follows hot on the heels of the upbeat, funk-forward “24K Magic,” making good use of Mars’ signature R&B sound. But this time he’s back to his sultry, slow-jam roots instead. He’s referred to this as the “big ballad on the album” — and it’s quite suggestive too:
“So, baby, let’s just turn down the lights and close the door/ Oh, I love that dress, but you won’t need it anymore,” he croons. Might want to queue this one up for an evening playlist. Interestingly, the song didn’t start off with this smooth sound initially. In an interview with Rolling Stone, Mars explained that “Versace” began as “poolside music” with a beat that was, he realized, too chilled out. It was then remixed multiple times until he hit the final, seductive sweet spot that we hear now.
This album is the third from the singer-songwriter, whose eclectic background includes credits with FloRida, Cee-Lo Green and Mark Ronson. A multiple Grammy Award winner (and Super Bowl halftime-show headliner in 2014), Mars’ return to form has been hotly anticipated after four years without a record of his own.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time