In the final week of the election, Donald Trump’s campaign is hoping to use Hillary Clinton’s latest email scandal and her connection to Anthony Weiner to paint her as “unfit to serve” as president.
In a new ad released Thursday, Trump’s campaign highlights the FBI’s announcement that it found emails relevant to the investigation of Clinton’s private email server on a computer belonging to Weiner, the estranged husband of top Clinton aide Huma Abedin.
“Decades of lies, cover-ups and scandal have finally caught up with Hillary Clinton,” a narrator said in the ad over images of Clinton coughing and shouting. “Hillary Clinton is Under FBI investigation again after her emails were found on pervert Anthony Weiner’s laptop.”
The FBI previously closed its investigation into Clinton’s emails over the summer, finding that no one would face criminal charges. The new announcement has drawn criticism from officials on both sides of the aisle for opening the issue again so close to the election.
In response, Trump has said Clinton should not be allowed to run and in recent days his campaign and surrogates have raised the idea of impeaching Clinton should she be elected.
“America’s most sensitive secrets, unlawfully sent, received and exposed by Hillary Clinton, her staff, and Anthony Weiner,” his ad said.
“Hillary cannot lead a nation while crippled by a criminal investigation,” it adds, ending with: “Hillary Clinton: unfit to serve.”
- How the Anti-Vax Movement Is Taking Over the Right
- What Happens Next in Ukraine Could Change Europe Forever
- There's So Much More To Say About Bill Cosby
- Death Doulas Used to Be Rare. The COVID-19 Pandemic Changed That
- What It Feels Like to Be a Muslim Woman Auctioned Online by India's Right Wing
- America's First Openly Trans City Council President Wants to Heal Minneapolis
- The World's Farmers Need to Prepare for Serious Cash Crop Disruption