The new trailer for Wonder Woman, in theaters this summer, ups the stakes for the character. The princess, played in the film by Gal Gadot, grew up on Themyscira, an island populated by women warriors. But that paradise comes under attack as the island is discovered in the midst of World War I.
“I used to want to save the world — this beautiful place,” Gadot says in a voiceover at the beginning of the trailer. “But the closer you get, the more you see the great darkness within.”
Wonder Woman, who recently turned 75, made her big-screen debut in Batman v. Superman. The Wonder Woman movie will be the first female superhero movie in over a decade and the hero’s first solo flick ever. Patty Jenkins, who directed Monster, is helming the film, and Chris Pine joins Gadot as Wonder Woman’s love interest (and, if the movies are anything like the comic books, gentleman in distress) Steve Trevor.
- Meet TIME’s Newest Class of Next Generation Leaders
- After Visiting Both Ends of the Earth, I Realized How Much Trouble We’re In
- Google Is Making It Easier to Remove Personal Info From Search
- Oil Companies Posted Huge Profits. Here’s Where The Cash Will Go (Hint: Not Climate)
- Column: We Asked Hundreds of Americans About Abortion. Their Feelings Were Complicated
- A Short History of the Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of the Marcos Family
- Long-Lasting Birth Control Is Already Hard to Get. Advocates Worry It May Only Get Worse
- Who Should Be on the 2022 TIME100? Vote Now