The new trailer for Wonder Woman, in theaters this summer, ups the stakes for the character. The princess, played in the film by Gal Gadot, grew up on Themyscira, an island populated by women warriors. But that paradise comes under attack as the island is discovered in the midst of World War I.
“I used to want to save the world — this beautiful place,” Gadot says in a voiceover at the beginning of the trailer. “But the closer you get, the more you see the great darkness within.”
Wonder Woman, who recently turned 75, made her big-screen debut in Batman v. Superman. The Wonder Woman movie will be the first female superhero movie in over a decade and the hero’s first solo flick ever. Patty Jenkins, who directed Monster, is helming the film, and Chris Pine joins Gadot as Wonder Woman’s love interest (and, if the movies are anything like the comic books, gentleman in distress) Steve Trevor.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time