The new trailer for Wonder Woman, in theaters this summer, ups the stakes for the character. The princess, played in the film by Gal Gadot, grew up on Themyscira, an island populated by women warriors. But that paradise comes under attack as the island is discovered in the midst of World War I.
“I used to want to save the world — this beautiful place,” Gadot says in a voiceover at the beginning of the trailer. “But the closer you get, the more you see the great darkness within.”
Wonder Woman, who recently turned 75, made her big-screen debut in Batman v. Superman. The Wonder Woman movie will be the first female superhero movie in over a decade and the hero’s first solo flick ever. Patty Jenkins, who directed Monster, is helming the film, and Chris Pine joins Gadot as Wonder Woman’s love interest (and, if the movies are anything like the comic books, gentleman in distress) Steve Trevor.
- Zero-COVID Protests in China Have Rattled Global Markets
- Column: Diversity Initiatives Are Failing the U.S. Muslim Community
- Why European Countries Are Giving Teens Free Money To Spend on Books, Music, and Theater
- Republican Skepticism of Trump Has Never Been Higher
- Column: The U.S. Prison System Doesn't Value True Justice
- How Green Is the Qatar World Cup’s Outdoor AC?
- 16 Funny and Whimsical White Elephant Gifts Under $25
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in November 2022