The chaotic brawls in Hong Kong’s legislature on Wednesday followed three weeks of disagreement between two newly-elected pro-independence lawmakers and their opponents in the Legislative Council. Scuffles broke out as guards attempted to remove one of the legislators, Sixtus “Baggio” Leung, who was defended by fellow pro-democracy colleagues.
Hong Kong is not the only place where disagreements between lawmakers have erupted into scuffles. As TIME’s collection of footage above shows, similar fights have broken out in lawmaking bodies around the world.
- How an Alleged Spy Balloon Derailed an Important U.S.-China Meeting
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- Column: Elon Musk Should Not Be in Charge of the Night Sky
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart
- 80 for Brady May Not Be a Masterpiece. But the World Needs More Movies Like This