1. Youth prisons don’t work. Here’s what does.
By Mishi Faruqee in Time
2. Does our democracy actually need a months-long presidential campaign?
By Lucia Graves in the Guardian
3. To fight lung disease, scientists built a lung on a chip and taught a robot to smoke.
By the Wyss Institute for Biologically Inspired Engineering at Harvard University
4. Did slaves produce your food?
By Elizabeth Grossman in Civil Eats
5. To get new scientific breakthroughs, we need scientists to branch out.
By Tolu Oni, Fabio Sciarrino, Gerardo Adesso & Rob Knight in Nature
The Aspen Institute is an educational and policy studies organization based in Washington, D.C.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction
- Why You Can't Remember That Taylor Swift Concert All Too Well
- What to Know About the History of the Debt Ceiling
- 10 Questions the Succession Finale Needs to Answer
- How Four Trans Teens Threw the Prom of Their Dreams
- Why Turkey’s Longtime Leader Is an Electoral Powerhouse
- The Ancient Roots of Psychotherapy
- Why Rich People Aren't Using Phone Cases