Last Week Tonight host John Oliver pulled no punches at a Center for Reproductive Rights gala this week, opening by welcoming the “nasty women—nasty, nasty, nasty… Some of the nastiest among us, I imagine,” referring to Donald Trump’s memorable attack on Hillary Clinton during the third debate.
As Saturday Night Live did before him, Oliver then launched into a takedown of Trump’s graphic description of a late-term abortion: (“In the ninth month, you can take the baby and rip the baby out of the womb of the mother just prior to the birth of the baby,” Trump said at the debate.)
“His discussion of late-term abortions showed no real understanding of how abortions work, no clear understanding of the basic biology of women’s bodies, and a very poor sense of grammar as well,” Oliver said scathingly of that description, as EW reports. “So I guess we got, in a sense, what we were asking for.”
He also mocked the Republican nominee’s drawing skills.
“If you ask Donald Trump to draw a fallopian tube, I cannot imagine what you would get back other than a child’s drawing of a cobra.”
Oliver was in attendance at the gala to honor filmmaker Dawn Porter, whose documentary Trapped follows a group of reproductive rights workers fighting anti-abortion laws. Author Isabel Allende was also an honoree at the event.
- Bad Bunny's Next Move
- 'How Is This Still Happening?' A Survivor Questions America's Gun Violence Problem
- Nicole Chung: The Person I Became After My Father's Death
- Can Birth Control Help Solve the World's Rat Problem?
- About That Devastating Tom-Shiv Scene in Succession's Premiere
- Why Humza Yousaf's Win Is 'Historic' for Scotland
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement