A slew of familiar faces appear in a new campaign video for a California state senate candidate remixing Huey Lewis’ “Hip to Be Square.”
Hip-hop artist MC Hammer, former congressman Barney Frank, actor Jaleel White, best known for playing Steve Urkel on ’90s sitcom Family Matters, and football players Joe Montana and Ronnie Lott all feature in the ad.
The ad, created by content studio Portal A on behalf of the Robert F. Kennedy Democratic Club, advocates for Scott Wiener in California’s 11th district, arguing that “it’s hip to be square.” The ad portrays Wiener, currently a member of the San Fransisco Board of Supervisors, as a boring but capable leader.
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- Employers Take Note: Young Workers Are Seeking Jobs with a Higher Purpose
- Signs Are Pointing to a Slowdown in the Housing Market—At Last
- Welcome to the Era of Unapologetic Bad Taste
- As the Virus Evolves, COVID-19 Reinfections Are Going to Keep Happening
- A New York Mosque Becomes a Refuge for Afghan Teens Who Fled Without Their Families
- High Gas Prices are Oil Companies' Fault says Ro Khanna, and Democrats Should Go After Them
- Two Million Cases: COVID-19 May Finally Force North Korea to Open Up