A slew of familiar faces appear in a new campaign video for a California state senate candidate remixing Huey Lewis’ “Hip to Be Square.”
Hip-hop artist MC Hammer, former congressman Barney Frank, actor Jaleel White, best known for playing Steve Urkel on ’90s sitcom Family Matters, and football players Joe Montana and Ronnie Lott all feature in the ad.
The ad, created by content studio Portal A on behalf of the Robert F. Kennedy Democratic Club, advocates for Scott Wiener in California’s 11th district, arguing that “it’s hip to be square.” The ad portrays Wiener, currently a member of the San Fransisco Board of Supervisors, as a boring but capable leader.
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving