Colin Powell says he’s voting for his fellow former Secretary of State this election season.
Powell announced his intentions at a meeting of the Long Island Association on Tuesday, his assistant confirmed to TIME. Those present at the event said he praised Hillary Clinton’s leadership skills and underlined Donald Trump’s lack of preparedness for the nation’s highest office, the New York Times reports.
In September, a hack of Powell’s email account revealed his disdain for Trump and his ambivalence toward Clinton.
Powell expressed support for Barack Obama in both 2008 and 2012, similarly waiting until late in the election seasons to do so.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve