Washington D.C. police are investigating after a parent at KIPP DC Spring Academy punched a 7-year-old child inside the charter school.
Surveillance footage from the school shows an adult punching a child in the school hallway on Wednesday. The child, John Mclean, told his mother he was assaulted by a classmate’s parent.
“I was in the hallway, the day was on Wednesday, and then somebody punched me in my stomach,” he told ABC News WJLA.
The video shows the adult walking out of the building after the punch as John is slumped over. Lena Mclean, John’s mother, said she has had “positive interactions” with the parent and that she didn’t understand why he would hurt her child.
“You don’t bully a child, you don’t torment a child,” she said. “I’ll feel much better when he is locked up.”
The school sent a letter to parents on Friday, saying the “isolated incident occurred on campus between a student and a family acquaintance who was also a Spring Academy parent.”
“The health and safety of our students, teachers, and staff remains our number one priority and we will continue to work closely with the police to ensure that students and staff are safe at school,” the letter said.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- How Tech Giants Turned Ukraine Into an AI War Lab
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Mahita Gajanan at email@example.com