The ex-wife of former Subway pitchman Jared Fogle is suing the sandwich chain, saying it knew about his sexual interest in children and failed to take appropriate action.
According to a lawsuit filed in Hamilton County Superior Court in Indiana on behalf of Katie McLaughlin on Monday, Subway received reports regarding Fogle’s sexual activity with children on at least three occasions, but never said anything to authorities. The company allowed Fogle to promote Subway at elementary schools after receiving the reports, the lawsuit alleges.
“Finding out that Subway did not act upon at least one complaint while continuing to utilize Jared as their spokesperson and facilitate his visits to those hundreds of schools is beyond comprehension,” McLaughlin told reporters during a press conference on Monday.
Subway sent a public relations employee to question Fogle about allegations in two of the reports, according to the lawsuit. Fogle denied the accusations. The lawsuit says the company admitted the third report about Fogle was “not properly escalated or acted upon.”
McLaughlin, who is suing Subway for damagers, accuses the company of negligence, invasion of privacy via misappropriation of likeness and intentional infliction of emotional distress, among other counts.
McLaughlin said she learned about the allegations against her ex-husband when the FBI banged on her door on July 7, 2015 to raid Fogle’s home. Fogle was sentenced to more than 15 years in prison in November 2015 for possession of child pornography and traveling across state lines to have sex with a minor.
A spokeswoman for Subway said the company cannot provide comment “as this is a pending legal action.”
- The Biggest Moments From the Second Republican Debate
- Rooftop Solar Power Has a Dark Side
- Death and Desperation Take Over the World's Largest Refugee Camp
- Right-Wing's New Aim: a Parallel Economy
- Is It Flu, COVID-19, or RSV? Navigating At-Home Tests
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time