The white-tie event, which has traditionally been a vehicle for presidential candidates to make lighthearted jokes about each other in a sort of genteel roast, is the last public appearance that both candidates will appear at together before the November election.
Because the dinner is a fundraiser for Catholic charities, it’s hosted by the Archbishop of NYC; this year it was hosted by Cardinal Timothy Dolan, who had the particularly choice task of sitting between Clinton and Trump during the formal dinner.
The tension of the affair provided plenty of opportunities for the folks at home and online to sound off with their reactions.
Many of them found humor in the awkwardness of the situation after a contentious debate, while others had hot takes about the dinner guests’ reactions to the jabs that Hillary and Donald were exchanging. See the Internet’s best offerings about last night’s Al Smith dinner below.
One user succinctly captured the mood of the dinner.
While another let us know how he really felt about watching the drama unfold.
Others were still in awe of how awkward the situation was.
And some found the prospect of attending daunting.
Another found it comparable to stress in her own life.
And one found it downright terrifying.
One user deciphered the true purpose of the dinner.
The true winner:
- Here's Where All The Strongest Hurricanes Have Hit the U.S. in the Past 50 Years
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- Here Are the 12 New Books You Should Read in October
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out