Michelle Obama said Donald Trump is a threat to American democracy while delivering an impassioned speech Thursday in Arizona, a red state where she is campaigning for Hillary Clinton.
The First Lady told a crowd of Clinton supporters in Phoenix that Trump “just doesn’t understand us” and that the Republican nominee has a vision for America that is “completely and utterly lacking in hope.”
She also said Trump is “threatening the very idea of America itself,” criticizing him for saying that he’d keep the country in “suspense” over whether he’d concede if he lost the election in November. “We cannot stand for that,” Obama said.
Obama also took digs at Trump’s comments about women and immigrants, saying Trump doesn’t understand them. “Maybe that’s why he demeans and humiliates women as if we’re objects meant solely for pleasure and entertainment rather than human beings worthy of love and respect,” she said. “He just doesn’t understand us.”
- How the Biden Administration Lost Its Way
- Hanya Yanagihara Is Never Going to Read Your Mean Tweets
- Inside Finland's Plan to End All Waste by 2050
- Chloe Kim Is Ready to Win Olympic Gold Again—On Her Own Terms
- Asia Has Kept COVID-19 at Bay for 2 Years. Omicron Could Change That
- Investors Are Sinking Real Money Into Virtual Real Estate, With No Guarantees
- The Man Putin Fears