Michelle Obama said Donald Trump is a threat to American democracy while delivering an impassioned speech Thursday in Arizona, a red state where she is campaigning for Hillary Clinton.
The First Lady told a crowd of Clinton supporters in Phoenix that Trump “just doesn’t understand us” and that the Republican nominee has a vision for America that is “completely and utterly lacking in hope.”
She also said Trump is “threatening the very idea of America itself,” criticizing him for saying that he’d keep the country in “suspense” over whether he’d concede if he lost the election in November. “We cannot stand for that,” Obama said.
Obama also took digs at Trump’s comments about women and immigrants, saying Trump doesn’t understand them. “Maybe that’s why he demeans and humiliates women as if we’re objects meant solely for pleasure and entertainment rather than human beings worthy of love and respect,” she said. “He just doesn’t understand us.”
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating