Michelle Obama said Donald Trump is a threat to American democracy while delivering an impassioned speech Thursday in Arizona, a red state where she is campaigning for Hillary Clinton.
The First Lady told a crowd of Clinton supporters in Phoenix that Trump “just doesn’t understand us” and that the Republican nominee has a vision for America that is “completely and utterly lacking in hope.”
She also said Trump is “threatening the very idea of America itself,” criticizing him for saying that he’d keep the country in “suspense” over whether he’d concede if he lost the election in November. “We cannot stand for that,” Obama said.
Obama also took digs at Trump’s comments about women and immigrants, saying Trump doesn’t understand them. “Maybe that’s why he demeans and humiliates women as if we’re objects meant solely for pleasure and entertainment rather than human beings worthy of love and respect,” she said. “He just doesn’t understand us.”
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve