The price of cinema tickets is on course to hit a record-breaking high in North America, with an average ticket price of $8.60 in 2016.
The average ticket price in the third quarter of 2016 was $8.51, compared with $8.25 over the same quarter the year before. That puts the average for the year as a whole at $8.60.
The price of tickets rises and falls over different quarters based on the types of movies that are released — for example, 3D movies which typically command higher ticket prices. Big-budget summer blockbusters Suicide Squad, Star Trek Beyond and Ghostbusters were among the top U.S. movies released in the third quarter of 2016.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve