When Shia LaBeouf appeared to wed his longtime girlfriend Mia Goth in Las Vegas a week ago, fans weren’t sure if the American Honey star was tying the knot for real or if it was just another performance art piece a la his three-day marathon screening of all his films.
The fact that the ceremony was live-streamed heightened further speculation about the nuptials, but LaBeouf cleared up rumors when he appeared on the Tuesday episode of The Ellen DeGeneres Show.
Initially, LaBeouf and Goth decided to keep the affair private because both of their mothers were present, even though the package that they chose from the Viva Vegas Wedding Chapel offered a free live stream.
However, the ceremony was accidentally broadcast online by TMZ, which LaBeouf and Goth figured out all too quickly.
“We get back home and it’s like, ‘Whoa, hey listen, something changed!’” LaBeouf told DeGeneres. “I call them up and they said somebody pressed the wrong button that sends the video to TMZ.”
For LaBeouf and Goth, however, nothing could undermine the special moment they shared that day.
“I said, I understood. I checked with my girl and she said, ‘Hey what are you gonna do?’ And ya know it’s love. We’re proud of it. It was love.”
People reported that the Clark County of Nevada’s clerk’s office’s tweeted that LaBeouf and Goth are not officially married, but instead participated in a “commitment ceremony.”
Watch the full interview below.
- Zero-COVID Protests in China Have Rattled Global Markets
- Column: Diversity Initiatives Are Failing the U.S. Muslim Community
- Why European Countries Are Giving Teens Free Money To Spend on Books, Music, and Theater
- Republican Skepticism of Trump Has Never Been Higher
- Column: The U.S. Prison System Doesn't Value True Justice
- How Green Is the Qatar World Cup’s Outdoor AC?
- 16 Funny and Whimsical White Elephant Gifts Under $25
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in November 2022