Police are investigating after the Orange County Republican headquarters in North Carolina was firebombed.
A bottle of flammable liquid was thrown through the office’s front window, authorities said, according to the Charlotte Observer. The words, “Nazi Republicans get out of town or else” were spray painted on a next-door building.
“The office itself is a total loss,” Dallas Woodhouse, executive director of state GOP told the Charlotte Observer. “The only thing important to us is that nobody was killed, and they very well could have been.”
“This highly disturbing act goes far beyond vandalizing property; it willfully threatens our community’s safety via fire, and its hateful message undermines decency, respect and integrity in civic participation,” Hillsborough Mayor Tom Stevens said in a statement. No injuries were reported.
Late Sunday, a GoFundMe page raising funds for rebuilding the office was set up by author David Weinberger, calling on Democrats to donate “no matter what your party affiliation” is. So far, over $13,000 has been raised from more than 500 people.
- How an Alleged Spy Balloon Derailed an Important U.S.-China Meeting
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- Column: Elon Musk Should Not Be in Charge of the Night Sky
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart
- 80 for Brady May Not Be a Masterpiece. But the World Needs More Movies Like This