Four people were killed on Saturday after a truck swerved 60 feet off a bridge and landed in a crowded San Diego park.
The driver, one of nine people injured in the crash, was arrested for driving under the influence and taken to UC San Diego Medical Centre for treatment for major injuries.
“It was determined that alcohol was involved,” Jake Sanchez, public information officer for the the California Highway Patrol’s San Diego office, said, according to CNN.
The gray GM pickup truck was turning toward the Coronado Bridge when the driver lost control and plunged into a crowd below.
Authorities identified the driver as Richard Anthony Sepolio, 25, and an active U.S. Navy member stationed the naval base on Coronado Island, CBS News reported.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve