It’s never too early to start preparing for the holidays. And with Whoopi Goldberg’s fun new festive sweater collection, dressing up for those ugly sweater parties will be a snap this season.
The View host, marijuana entrepreneur, and quirky comedian partnered with Lord & Taylor to produce a line of, well, very unusual holiday-themed sweaters—but don’t call them “ugly,” Goldberg warns.
“Mine are kind of ‘funny Christmas sweaters’ or ‘Christmas sweaters with a twist,'” she explained to Vogue. The kitschy tongue-in-cheek designs are both comic and socially conscious; there are reindeers as dancing Rockettes on one, a turtleneck depicting a happily mixed family on another, and a Hanukkah-themed sweater featuring an octopus as an eight-armed menorah.
“It’s basically about how we are all in this together… It’s all in my funny, weird head of things that I like to see. There’s a great one of two Santas kissing, one white Santa and one black Santa, and it’s fantastic. It’s anything that will elicit a smile or an ‘aw’ from you; that’s what I want,” she said.
Each of the 11 unisex sweaters has a name (“Bite Me” has a gingerbread man taking a taste of his fellow, for instance), WWD reports, and are priced at $139. They go on sale Nov. 1. Goldberg told Vogue will be both a Kwanzaa and Ramadan sweater next year. And this could be just the start of Goldberg’s fashion forays; one peek at her Instagram reveals her pre-existing penchant for wacky footwear.
- Employers Take Note: Young Workers Are Seeking Jobs with a Higher Purpose
- Signs Are Pointing to a Slowdown in the Housing Market—At Last
- Welcome to the Era of Unapologetic Bad Taste
- As the Virus Evolves, COVID-19 Reinfections Are Going to Keep Happening
- A New York Mosque Becomes a Refuge for Afghan Teens Who Fled Without Their Families
- High Gas Prices are Oil Companies' Fault says Ro Khanna, and Democrats Should Go After Them
- Two Million Cases: COVID-19 May Finally Force North Korea to Open Up