Speaking out for the first time since she was released from jail in North Dakota on Monday, the Divergent star shared a message to her fellow protestors on Instagram Tuesday.
“One day, baby, we’ll sing our poetry. The words dripping from our tongues wet with ripened patience,” she wrote. “And the lyrics, the sweet fruits born from the seeds our aging hands are now sowing. #alwaysinallways #heartforward #uptous #NoDAPL #protectcleanwater #iamonyourside.”
Woodley was arrested Monday while participating in a protest against the construction of the controversial pipeline in Bismarck, North Dakota. She was released later that day, the star’s rep confirmed PEOPLE.
“Shailene Woodley has been released from the Morton County Jail in North Dakota. She appreciates the outpouring of support, not only for her, but more importantly, for the continued fight against the construction of the Dakota Access Pipeline,” said the rep.
Woodley, who streamed her arrest via Facebook Live, was charged with criminal trespassing. The actress was a mere few feet from her vehicle when she was stopped by cops.
“I was walking back to my RV, which is right there so that we can go back to camp peacefully and they grabbed me by my jacket and said that I was not allowed to continue,” she said. After waiting several minutes she was put under arrest.
The Divergent actress is one of several activists who have been taken into police custody amid ongoing protests against the project, which has been the crux of a dispute between members of the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe and Dallas-based Energy Transfer Partners.
- Column: Tyre Nichols' Killing Is The Result of a Diseased Culture
- Without Evusheld, Immunocompromised People Are on Their Own Against COVID-19
- Here Are All the Movies and TV Shows That Make Up the New DCU
- TikTok's 'De-Influencing' Trend Is Here to Tell You What Stuff You Don't Need to Buy
- Column: America Goes About Juvenile Crime Sentencing All Wrong
- Why Your Tax Refund May Be Lower This Year
- Brazil Wants to Abandon a 34,000-Ton Ship at Sea. It Would be an Environmental Disaster
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in January 2023