Cannonballs dating back to the Civil War era have been discovered on a South Carolina beach in the aftermath of Hurricane Matthew.
The military ordnance was found by a local resident walking along Folly Beach in Charleston County, according to CNN. The U.S. Air Force Explosive Team helped to detonate the cannonballs on Sunday, the Charleston County Sheriff’s Office said.
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving