Breakout teen star JoJo’s return to music has been, so far, marked by exuberant pop songs. But “Music.,” released today in advance of her album Mad Love. on Oct. 14, is a whole other story: a spare, deeply felt love song to the consistent power of music throughout the ups and downs of her life.
The video, a compilation of home movies from JoJo’s childhood, shows her singing, dancing, and acting her way through her youth; it’s clear this was a girl completely addicted to the stage from an early age. But it’s the lyrics that are both heartbreaking and uplifting, delivered over a stripped-down piano composition.
The story also becomes personal, as JoJo mentions the struggles her family has been through.
“Went on the road to make me Daddy proud, but I lost him so I sang to the crowd. My only hope is that he’s looking down, thinking, ‘Oh my God, my daughter’s doing it now.”
- LeBron James Could Take Pickleball—Yes, Pickleball—to the Next Level
- It's Going to Be a Lot More Expensive to Heat Your Home This Winter. Here's What To Expect
- The U.S. Might Be the Surprising Determining Factor in the Future of Armenia
- Rapper Saucy Santana Is Opening a Door For His Community
- Here are the Biggest Moments from the TIME100 Leadership Forum and Impact Awards in Singapore
- Column: Russia Wants to Lock Ukraine Back in the Soviet Cellar
- As the Kanjuruhan Tragedy Shows, Indonesia Has Not Resolved Its Long-Standing Problem of Soccer Violence
- Here's Everything New on Netflix in October 2022
- A New Documentary Series Illuminates the History and Evolution of Queer Horror